Background

Monday, August 27, 2012

18 Hours

Well, I have spent a lot of time working on the first PTO Newsletter for this school year. My newsletter isn't very professional. It's more fun and a little interactive in hopes that more people will want to read it. I have a section of upcoming events that include PTO/school happenings but also some area wide entertainment. It's followed by a summary section that wraps up discussion at the previous PTO meeting highlighting only the most pertinent points. After that I have a section called Looking Back in which I try to post pictures of events during the previous month. To the side of that I have info on PTO executives and contact information. Below that I have a section called Something Fun. I get to be choosy (which is time-consuming) in finding something to share that can be fun for the whole family. Previously I've shared info about Geocaching, the Bullfrogs (local minor league baseball team), and now - Hazelwood Historic House in downtown Green Bay. Then I have a dedicated Market Day and Scrip blurb box. That is followed by the Spotlight. I hope this takes off. Students, teachers, parents can nominate another student, teacher, or parent to be highlighted in the newsletter. Either I or a member of the student council can draw a name and interview the nominee and take their picture. This info will be included in the newsletter. I thought it would be fun for the kids being selected, encouraging for parents to read, and good for student council members gaining certain skills. Then, after that I have the agenda for the next PTO meeting and the minutes for the last PTO meeting. All in all, I think it's engaging. It's 4 pages but everything is blocked so it doesn't seem like reading a book. I stress about finding enough, or the right material, for it - but I think I've done good so far for this first one. I hope others think so as well.

No comments: