Background

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Stool Project


 I've had it in my mind to do this for quite sometime. I love the rope on the feet!  My other two stools will have an @ symbol and an exclamation point. Perfect for my three boys!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For a quick run-down:
I began by sanding the stool real well (otherwise it would've required many coats of paint).  Then, I wiped it down with first a damp, then dry, cloth.  I painted, let dry, put on a second coat.  I used my Cricut to cut out the ampersand sign and used a spray adhesive to affix it to the stool.  Then, I painted on my template - removed template before all the way dry, but not immediately after painting.  Then, I used sisal rope to wrap the legs.  I used a flimsy piece of tape to hold the rope in place just long enough to get started wrapping and gluing the rope.  I found that it didn't pay so much to adhere the rope to the legs so much as glue the rope to itself as I wrapped it around the legs.  I used what I had on hand - Gorilla wood glue.  We'll just have to see how durable it is with time.  Finally, I used a thin, single coat of polyurethane to give it a shine and to hopefully, prevent scratches as I'm sure the kids will be rough on them.  I am hoping that will prevent the paint from coming up or getting scratched and flaked.  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice projects!

Stacieleigh1027 said...

Thank you! :)-Stacie