Background

Friday, November 22, 2013

Nick Hornby's Polysyllabic Spree

So on Facebook I like a page called Literature Is My Utopia.  They share so many quotes, many I share.  I love quotes because I learn about people I've never heard of before.  And, yes, when I come across a quote that 'speaks to me' I do look up the author to learn more about the person that spoke so directly to me.  So, I came across this one by Nick Hornby from his work titled The Polysyllabic Spree:

"All the books we own, both read and unread, are the fullest expression of self we have at our disposal. . . But with each passing year, and with each whimsical purchase, our libraries become more and more able to articulate who we are, whether we read the books or not."

I looked up The Polysyllabic Spree and the just of it is keeping a log of what books one purchases in a month, month to month, whether they get read or not.  But, there's more to it and I can only assume such things as what drew him to purchase the books and even some passages.  I think that is a wonderful concept and I think I'd like to start something similar for my own enjoyment.

At any rate, based on the quote above, I've mentally scanned my library and  have decided that I am an open-minded, adventure-seeking, romantic, with a deep love for humanity!  I'm totally awesome!  :)



No comments: