Background

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pinterest Project


Here is the original Pinterest project:  A sort of - coaster tray - so when you have numerous kids in the house (well, parents, too) you can keep track of which glass or cup is yours and know that it is currently 'in use.'  Great idea.  Even though I'm not entirely sure it will work out with kids already trained to leave their glass where ever they please, I still wanted to give it a try.  Let's face it - it's just darn cute!

And, - here's my replica!  What a pain in my royal tush, too.  Glad it's done.  I'm happy with the way it turned out but I am learning that hardly anything on Pinterest is ever as easily accomplished!

Recurring problem:  I can never find the materials advertised in the project.  The ceramic tiles pictured above are regular coaster size, and apparently cost the maker .18 cents at her local hardware store.  I cheked 2 different hardware stores, Home Depot, Fleet Farm, and Wal-Mart.  No plain ceramic tiles - anywhere.  So, I rethink how I'm going to do the project and make it my own. 

I purchased a premade, laminated shelf.  It was just over $5.  Not too bad.  I searched Home Depot for tiles and the only normal size they had - were white and shiny.  I decided I'd opt for the 6x6 tiles that already had an element of design.  Handles, no problem.  Found little pegs for feet, no problem.

I did sand the laminate before painting.  And, I'll tell you I just purchased one of the sample containers of paint at Home Depot for just under $3.  I gave it about 3 coats.  It dries quick.  Attaching the handles - was nearly disastrous.  If I had any woodshop in me at all - it would've been a cinch.  I drilled holes, but my measurements were off - by a HAIR.  So, I had to redo them - well, I just attempted to 'push' the drill bit in the direction I needed the actual hole location to be.  I'm not a patient person and I know there will be others like me who want to complete a project from start to finish - there's none of this getting up and walking away with the intent to finish it later.  So, I had to touch up my paint after that was done.  I simply used a transfer for the names (thankfully I already had the letters).  I mod-podged just the name - not the whole tile.  I mod-podged the tray before placing the tiles.  I glued on the little legs, and then glued on the tiles - I did use wood glue - because I had it on hand and figured it was stronger than Elmer's. 

So, ta-da!  Here it is.  We'll see how useful it is. . .



 
LOL!  Just drink from the pot Justin. 

No comments: