Background

Saturday, May 04, 2013

My Front Porch

     I was fortunate enough to find a ton of pallets for free - and a cable wheel. But I had no idea what to do with them. I love many of the ideas I've found on Pinterest but my husband wouldn't let me hang any (too heavy), the bike rack I attempted to copy - just didn't work, and the other projects required more pallets, and in nicer condition than the ones I had (not all pallets are created equal). So, after having them sit for months on my front porch I decided I'd just get 'S' hooks and hang some tins of herbs (though I've yet to get those herbs!). Recently I was walking in Shopko and a light bulb went off! And this is the result:




     I used self stick pictures you usually see on interior walls. I think it turned out great. I may have to use some sealer to prevent it from unsticking but so far I've not encountered a problem with it peeling off.  For the tree on the little pallet I used some really sharp scissors to cut the parts between the slats of wood.  I like the effect a lot. 

     I found a really pretty strand of garland to put on the windowsill, & a clock and candles for the table. And, knowing I needed to dress my porch up some more I immediately thought of - burlap.  So I bought some utility burlap (the kind used for wrapping trees) and made a table cloth. I cut the shape, frayed two sides, knotted the loose fringe 3 strands at a time to prevent further, unwanted fraying. Then, using my Cricut I cut out an image I liked, sprayed it with Craft Bond, placed it on the material (as a template) and painted. It turned out really cute!



     Then, I chose to make a very simple tabbed valance. I don't sew so fabric glue is one of my best friends.  I simply took the remainder of burlap and cut it into a rectangle, and folded it in two.  I applied a seam of fabric glue about 4 inches down from the fold (so you have to kind of unfold it - apply the glue and fold it back down).   Then, I made a template for cutting the tabs (so they'd all be equal in size and shape).  I put the same image on the valance as I used on the table cloth, only smaller, and tied the tabs with a complimentary colored ribbon. I used a tension rod to hang the valance.  It's not perfect - a little uneven.  But, it's burlap.  I like the natural look of it and for that reason - I never intended it to be perfect.


     The pillows in the chair are a nice touch, too. I would still like to add my herbs and a nice rug. But for now - this is my front porch. And I love it!  Imagine it on a sunny day - I was too eager to wait for a sunny day to take the pic's below.  I have a red door and the house is a blue/gray, trimmed in white.  Can't wait for the garden to come to life - it'll look even lovelier then.  :)









No comments: