Background

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The only Chore Routine that has worked for me. . .

How many chore charts and creative ways to track or assign chores have you used?  Well, I've used them all (I'm pretty sure).  I started one about 2 years ago that worked out very well.  I stopped it out of laziness, or probably because we just got so darn busy.  Well, I'm reinstituting it because it did work very well.  I've also added something new that we tried last night - and it was a complete success! 

I have three boys.  So, each boy has a folder and a pen which are kept on a stool at the island for easy access.  I have written the rules on the folder, for example, they get .10 per chore completed and done correctly (I am the judge of that).  I will minus one cent for spelling errors (it's about more than just the chores - responsibility and doing things right in all areas of life - so, I won't tolerate mispelled words.  It's something easy to incorporate and spelling is a huge deal in the real world).  Now, I have one kid who loves to read and two who like to read - but it doesn't come quite as easy to them.  So, I've also added that they can read a book and do a book report (and have gone over what I expect in a book report and have left an example in their folders) for what I feel is an appropriate amount of 'reward.'  But, on to the chores. . .


Here is the simplest chore chart - ever.  I got tired of the idea that they do the same chores over and over each week, or rotate chores with siblings - they are still the same chores.  Truth of the matter is - how often do we have something extra they could totally help with - but it's not a part of their chore chart??  So, I tell my kids, if you see something that needs to be picked up or cleaned up - and you have the ability to do it - then do it.  Write it down and for everything you do completely and correctly, I'll pay you ten cents.  Ten CENTS!?  Who would even find that worthwhile? 

Well, first of all, I really don't believe in paying my kids to do chores.  I don't get paid to do chores.  So, why should they?  But, they would like to earn money to spend on a pack of gum or to spend at the theater on food or drink, etc.  But, I'm not hard and firm on the ten cent limit, either.  For example, Tyler and Justin shoveled snow yesterday.  It was a big job.  Tyler knew he did a lousy job and Justin worked pretty darn hard.  So, I asked Tyler how much he thought he deserved for the work he did.  He said .40 cents worth, but that Justin probably did about $1.60 worth of work compared to him - totaled $2 and I thought that seemed fair.  I asked Justin about it and he agreed so - that's what I will pay them for the shoveling job.  (Now, if I were very well-off, I might consider working in quater, or dollar, increments).  Today, Joshua washed dishes - but they included pots and pans.  He did great and I took the time to stand there to teach and watch - so, I equated that to a .20 cent job.  Either they or I will write what they've done down in a column for that day.  At the end of the evening before I go to bed - I will look at what they've done and fill in the total they have earned (assuming they've done the chores they said they did - to my standards, which is a concept they are very familiar with).  See an example below:
 
 
 
 
Now, for the 'something new' I've encorporated. . .I have added three slips to a jar and every week each kid will draw a slip.  They will do what they've drawn.  What's on the slips?  Dust  *  Windex  *  Vacuum.  Just to be clear, this is a once a week job - not a job they do every day for a week.
 
It worked out so well last night!  So well, I'm tickled pink.  I don't expect the job to be done as well as if I were to do it myself but it took so much off my plate, they worked together, and I know, for the most part - my house is clean!  Now, I have a 3 story home - it is only for the main floor, and their rooms.  It works out so well that I can focus on other parts of the house and other chores involved with raising 3 boys, a husband, 2 cats, 3 fish, 4 chickens, and soon - a brand new puppy.  Plus, I do work part-time, sometimes from home and sometimes I travel.  And, let's not forget that mama's should have a life, too, outside of housework.
 
 
Final notes:  The charts start on Saturday and end on Friday - the day I choose to pay them so if they have somewhere to go during the weekend - they can have some cash.  
 

No comments: