Background

Thursday, February 09, 2012

And I call myself a nurse. . .

So, Joshua got a boo-boo yesterday. It's on the palm of his hand - I think as he was coming off the slide at school (obviously head first) he put out his hands and slid on the pavement. There is a small chunk of skin that was 'lifted.' Apparently, he was doctored at school by the secretary, which is fine. When he finally got around to showing it to me yesterday - there are things I should've done, but didn't. I should've been a good nurse, or the 'good mom,' and cleaned it right away, applied neopsorin, and bandaged it. I should have. But, I wasn't in 'nursing mode' and the 'boy boo-boo, show no fear, not a big deal, oh well' mom in me said, "What were you doing?" "Did Barb give you a band-aid?" Replies: he told me a longer version of his adventures at recess, and "yes." Story done. Situation over. My next comment was directed at my mother, "are you going to make cornbread?" So, as you can see, there was no 'fore-thinking' on my part and I carried on with the evening, at which time, we were in the middle of working out what was for dinner.

Now, 20 minutes before he's supposed to head out to the bus he shows me his boo-boo - not thinking anything is wrong. The first thing I noticed was it was puffy. Puffy. Hmm. So, I went to feel at which time Joshua must have realized, 'something must not be right!' After some "no, no, no" I was able to hold his hand and feel his boo-boo. It was hard. That's odd. It shouldn't be puffy and it shouldn't be hard. So, the initial impression was it needed to be sliced open, cleaned, flap laid flat, neosporined and bandaged. But, I lack in the confidence area - to do that myself, knowing my exacto knife would need to be thouroughly sterilized (not to mention, it has a dull blade), I would need to take him to the doctor. Well, my husband thinks I take the kids (and myself) to the doc for the most tedious of things so I sought his opinion in the rare hope he'd automatically defer to my judgement. No such luck.

So, after him making me feel even less competent in my knowledge as a nurse, I proceeded to burn a needle, poke my kids' boo-boo, and press on the lump of puffy skin to 'push out' any puss. Well, 1st of all - the needle hole is too small to push anything out - doesn't matter if it's liquid. So, as the bus was due to arrive any minute - I neosporined him, band-aided him, and kicked him out the door with his hand in the air (because now, you know, he's not going to use and will gaurd it with his life). So, we'll see what it looks like when he gets home.

Why did I become a nurse????? Because I loved Candy-striping and my husband suggested that since I loved it so much - go to school to be a nurse. LONG stretch, people! Marketing, design, writing, etc - that's more my avenue. But, it's a wee bit too late now.

No comments: