Background

Thursday, September 10, 2020

 Sky and I have talked for years about buying property.  We’d always look on websites and find a lot of great places, but we never went further.  Well, this year - we went all the way!  We looked online, we made the call to a realtor, and we tromped several amazing properties.  I have to say some of the most fun I’ve had is hiking with Sky and our realtor about 4 weekends in a about 6 weeks.  My favorite was the 1st one we saw.  But, being very rocky it wasn’t ideal for hauling deer after hunting one down.  We did put in an offer on a ready-to-hunt piece of property....Asking price $110, dropped to $105 day after we saw it.  We offered $100 - and guess what....  No deal.  Say whaaaaaaat?

So, we looked at a parcel near the first property we saw and decided to go by and look again at it.  Called in the offer before leaving!  It’s just SO beautiful and so full of potential.  And, for $99 - we got 99!  99 acres!  All ours in Hurley, WI!  

Side note:  Despite my love for the property - I love the history of this place!  A Capone brother died here.  Heavy mob presence in this region.  But, it’s also the birthplace of a bioweaponeer named Frank Olson.  Such an interesting story!!  

From what I’ve learned the property used to be the old Sunie Farm (cows, pigs, chickens).  The original Finnish homestead is still on the property but we’re taking it down due to it being completely rotted and already dilapidated.  Near the original homestead is a home built later (maybe in the 40’s).  It burned in the 70’s.  But, it’s remains are still there.  Sky and I have been into the home but it is very unstable and we will have to tear it down.  As much as it saddens me to do so, we will make our own history here.  And, if you know me - you know the history will remain in tact and memorable!  I am hoping to preserve one wall of the original homestead in a garden and I’d really like to preserve the staircase (lower half of 7 steps), from the newer homestead, as well.

Here are some pics with the progress we’ve made so far:

























No comments: