Background

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Cleaning Window Screens

     So I looked online for 'how to clean window screens' and though I didn't look hard I kept coming across sites with long supply lists and multiple-step procedures.  I decided I could condense the supplies & procedure and after I got started I thought others might like to know how I cleaned my window screens.

     I cleaned off my island and laid down a towel. I poured 1/2 cup of ammonia in a small bowl with 1 and 1/2 cups of warm water. I laid my screen on the towel and began gently scrubbing the frame and screen with a toothbrush using the ammonia mix.   At this point the screen was laying down.



     Then, I'd stand the screen up and gently get the other side the same way but not as well as the first side. It just wasn't necessary. I then got a wash rag and wet it with water from the faucet and did not ring it out well. I gently wiped the frame and screen on each side.

 
     Finally, I used the blow dryer to dry the screen. This is important as the water that stays there can attract dust and dirt. Plus, though its April, we still have snow on the ground and its cold so it could freeze - and wouldn't look very nice.

 
     I held up two screens to see the difference. My fridge is acting as a backdrop. I didn't plan on doing this today. But often, my inspiration for cleaning is rearranging furniture or digging into some deep cleaning. So the rest of my house is a wreck and I didn't want to get too much of the 'mess' in my pictures.



Here are some before and after pics.




Don't forget to clean the windows, front and back, top and bottom.  It took me a while but I finally figured that the top window folds out the same way as the bottom window.  Use a vacuum to suck up dead lady bugs (which I think are actually Japanese Beetles that bite) and wasps.  Once the debris is out you may want to use the same ammonia mixture to clean the window where the dead bugs were - dirt, etc.  I found a lot of mold on my windows - apparently, we need new ones because they aren't sealing well in winter.  That will come later.  You can take your storm windows out to clean them front and back, too.  It makes a huge difference having windows out of which you can see clearly.  :)

No comments: