Background

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Standing up for Education. . .

Where I live we are facing a school referendum to update 7 facilities, build an athletic complex, and bring in a lot of technology. The village board where I live has blatantly expressed their opposition to this referendum, as written. In other words - they are just pissed about the athletic complex. Below is the letter I wrote to our village president, who acoording to two newspapers (and was quoted) stated that if the referendum passes he'd consider our little parcel of land (where I reside)being absorbed into another school district. Let me first tell you that the school district in which I reside is ranked 18th in our state. ______________________________________________For some reason - Blogger will not let me do paragraphs - so that is what the lines are for _______________________________ Hello Mr. Heidel,__ My name is Stacie Bryant and I am a resident of Hobart and a mother to three boys in the Pulaski School District. I am writing to you in regards to comments you made stating that you will look into having Hillcrest Elementary absorbed into another school district, and to share my thoughts in regards to the referendum. __ With all due respect, you do not represent the families of Hillcrest Elementary School. __ I can tell you what a true representative would take into account if his interests were truly those of the young people attending Hillcrest, and their families:__ First, the academic content provided at this school as part of a district-wide curriculum far exceeds that of many other school districts in the area, in all of Northeast Wisconsin. I can say this with fact and conviction as my children have been a part of the Manitowoc, Wrightstown, and Green Bay school districts. From experience, the PCSD has the best, most effective, academic program that reaches out to actively include parents in their children's education at all grade levels. Parents feel they're a part of the entire district as opposed to one school and thereby - they are the community! I'm sorry you don't feel the same pride.__ Secondly, you balk at the idea of an athletic complex. As a parent, the feeling of having such great amenities is eye-popping and exciting! To think that as my children climb the ladder grade by grade and will one day be playing a sport for one of the best schools in the state - encourages my feelings of elation, equated to PRIDE! All the schools will want to play at our facilities. And, just think what our kids can accomplish socially. But, then again - social accomplishments don't seem to matter to you. Sadly, you don't care about polishing a great academic program with a great athletic program - leading to extremely well-rounded children who will go on to accomplish greater things. And, today's children will, in the future, come back to their hometown, bringing with them the means to 'return the favor' of having been given the most complete education a person can receive. What you don't know is that education isn't just what is in the books. This is a new world and thanks to the PCSD for having the foresight to see beyond what was - to what will be. You, sir, are holding us all back!__ Finally, I get a little irritated hearing from folks like you and even some who send their kids to private schools - that you all don't have kids in the district, so why should you have to pay to make the public school district better? Well, I will tell you why. It doesn't matter who you are or at what address you reside - you will be in a public school district. All public school districts put forth referendums - when needed - to enhance the education of their schools. Whether it is by building new facilities, updating old ones, adding to existing buildings, implementing new curriculums, bringing in new technology for use in the classroom or elsewhere, or by any other means - all people want to be able to call their school district the best. So, where ever you live - you will most likely be faced with a referendum to a public school district - which will not directly affect you. So, whether it is Pulaski, or somewhere in Timbuktu, you face agreeing to or fighting against a school referendum. Pulaski Community School District is where you are now - so why not be supportive? Sometimes you have to give a little - to gain a lot. Think of the future of others - not just your own.__ I've said all I have to say and I sincerely hope you let a little steam out of your opposition. You may be the president of the Village of Hobart - but you do not represent me or my opinions.__ Sincerely, Stacie Bryant

No comments: