Background

Monday, December 05, 2011

FB response to author's request

I find it very interesting how a single description can appear so very different from person to person. Granted, we might read a description but instead of imagining it to a tee/T (?) we pick and choose the aspects we like and fill in the rest with our own image that 'makes/builds' the look of the character. That is how I got my 13 year old interested in reading when he was only 6. I read to him a paragraph from a book in which the character was described as wearing a red shirt, etc., etc. Then, I asked him to picture that red shirt. I asked, 'in your mind does it have a pocket? Is it a button up shirt, a pullover, a t-shirt, a sweater? Is it long-sleeved or short?' Then, I pointed out that reading can be fun because we can supply our own image with help from the description like making a movie in our heads, and that while we all read the same story - the images will be our own.

This is part of the response I gave on Karen Marie Moning's FB page in which she is/was searching for images of attire that fit a certain character (Barrons) for her comic book. Many of the images were so different than what I had imagined. Then, I got to thinking about it . . . Interesting, huh?

No comments: