Background

Monday, August 08, 2011

Just how is a mom NOT to be over-protective???

So, two Friday's ago the kids' friend, not so much - but a child they used to hang out with, was riding his bike and hit by an Escalade. I'm guessing 45/50 mph. Last I heard when I took his mom to the hospital one day was he was in a medically induced coma with a skull fracture, a fracture of T6 and T8, somewhat paralyzed on his left side, will have to learn to walk again and may be slow - I don't know if that was at best or what. It's hard to determine the level of brain damage when in a coma. So, he wasn't wearing a helmet but doc's say even so - at that speed - it might not have done any good anyway. Thing is - I'd never have let my kids ride their bikes on that road, nor many others with speed limits of only 35. So, my paranoia has me demanding my kids now wear helmets. But, because they never did before Sky says we should encourage them, not demand. ????? I see his point but we're the parents. Truth is - Sky is on the fence about helmet use. So, when we went camping he told the kids (Joshua must always wear his - hands down, no argument) that they didn't have to wear them on Thursday but had to the rest of the time we were there. Of course, they complained. Well - not Tyler so much - we bought him a new, "comfy" helmet because his old one was "uncomfy." But, Justin's was so loose - what was the point???? Well, a little girl, 4, at jellystone - not where we were camping - was run over by a vehicle at the campground and had to be airlifted! I read the story to Justin off my phone (thank you wifi). He allowed me to tighten his helmet straps.

But - as if that wasn't enough. . . On Thursday we let all three of the boys go to the pool by themselves and told Justin he was responsible for Joshua - who is 6 1/2. Justin is 13, and Tyler is 11. So, on Friday - at our very campground - a little 7 year old girl drowned! Well, she did drown but last I heard was on life support. CPR was performed for 20 minutes before the ambulance arrived. (Campgrounds are out in the boonies.) Her parents were not at the pool with her but the dad was walking up at some point before he knew of any accident. Hell - me and Sky didn't bother going to the pool on Thursday - where it was less crowded. Now, you'd think that on Friday - being more crowded - someone would have noticed. Well, when we were there on Saturday - it was clear that crowded isn't necessarily better for noticing girls under water, flailing about or not. Anyway, I hope all these children will be okay, though I do have my doubts. I cannot find any info on the news about them to learn their conditions, it' frustrating.

But, tell me - just how am I NOT supposed to be over-protective now?????

No comments: