Background

Monday, April 04, 2011

A Simple Pleasure

Tonight I took Justin to B&N for chess. I enjoyed myself because I got to sit down for an hour and a half of (mostly) uninterrupted reading, in which time I was able to finish my book. First of all, I was sitting across from a Packer player - don't know which one, though. There was another man in the chair next to me whom I thought would jump out of his skin at the excitement. Haha. He made conversation with me and I didn't want to be rude. He was clearly very poor and unkempt but, I was kind and carried on with the conversation. He eventually joined the chess players. Now - my book was one I have spent nearly a month on! Those of you who know me well should know how odd that is. I normally take, at most, a week to finish a book. But, this one was just so wordsy. I hate it when authors expand and expand on description after description - 10 ways to describe something - just to take up space. So, I had a hard time sitting down to read it and I kept saying how glad I'd be to finish it. Well, I finished it and guess what? It was really good. I liked the story but it could've been about 50 pages shorter and it would've been stellar. But, I often find that the problem with books I've picked up out of the 'Literature' section. They're usually very weird. Anyway, I can't wait to start Kresley Cole's latest.

So, as far as my simple pleasure goes. . . it was sitting at B&N amongst the crowd (and it was busy tonight) hearing the drone of people in the background yet being able to jump into and get lost in a story. To look up when done and NOT see dirty dishes or pillows and socks on the floor or to know that I've got to go downstairs and start the laundry. :) Did I ever mention how much I love my local B&N????

(forgive any typos - it's late and I'm not proof-reading)

No comments: