Background

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Houdini

First, I forgot to mention my username and password for the Sears portrait website is: my email address and then, my name.

Now, Joshua is Houdini reincarnate!

I had to do away with the high chair because buckled or not he'd be up and oh, so proud of himself before I could get him a quick snack to occupy him while I sliced up the rest of his dinner. Then, he started to climb over the tray. Now, I have him in a booster where the tray fits tighter or I can just push him right up to the table - he still leans over to the point I think he's going to cause the chair to tip over.

Well, I had him in the exersaucer sitting right beside my computer desk. I was sitting in the chair but had my back to him. Kathud! He climbed out! O.k., time to get rid of that. So, I needed something to keep him in when I'm working at the computer for a short while or when I'm cooking (because right now he really hates being left alone in the living room/hall/closet/his room (he's got access to all of that - it's safe, but I have a really big gate disallowing him from entering the dining room and kitchen). So, I went and pulled out the playpen. From the time I put him in it to the time I walked to the living room to get a toy - I came back and found him straddling the side of the playpen!

Now, last night before I took the kids to tae kwon do we were eating dinner at the table together. Joshua was being a pill (as he has been for the past week or two) not eating, leaning over the side of his chair, fussing. So, I put him in the living room on the other side of the gate where he screamed and screamed. So, I put him ever so gently in his crib while we finished our dinner. Boom! No sound. O.k., don't panic, walk calmly to his room. Poor thing has this expression on his face, 'am I all right, mama?' (Talk about feeling guilty!) So, we cuddled - but he never cried. I suppose he was standing on the tip end of the mattress where I still had a wedge. So, I removed the wedge. Later that evening, after getting home from tae kwon do, I put him in his crib while I straightened up his room - he had no problem with that. Then, I left his room to straighten up the living room - mind you , this doesn't take that long. But, he started whailing! I come back in to pick him up and tell him, 'hey, I'm not punishing you' and to get him out when I see that he is using his strong little toes to grip and climb the slats!!!!!! What on earth am I to do???????????????

He's only 1, as of the 10th. Too young for a toddler bed - I have no problem with him getting up to play in the morning or even in the middle of the night. But, anywhere between 7:30 and 9pm I put him down to sleep - while he's still awake and I believe that if he had a toddler bed - he'd decide when bedtime was. I need help - I worry about him falling out of his crib and breaking his little neck. Anybody got a solution?

No comments: